Manakau School

Previous Updates

Community Blog

Written by Deb Logan

In this 'Blog' Space you will find comments from Deb's Desk, youtube clips, photos and presentations from the students and teachers.
Please comment on the posts, we would love to hear what you think.

End of Term 3 2019

Posted on 16 October 2019

This blog post was included in the Week 10 Manakau Matters newsletter. Enjoy the read.

I have now been Principal at Manakau School for 3 years and 3 terms, in fact I have now been a Principal for 3 years and 3 terms. It has been an interesting experience to say the least. Most of the time I love it.  I love the variety, I love the things that the children come out with, their perception of the world, their unique-niss. I love the excitement that is conveyed when our children learn a new skill, or achieve one of their goals. I love the dynamic environment that is created when our children come together from our diverse families. I particularly enjoy the opportunities I get to teach. 

Over the past 2 terms I have had to closely reflect on my role in supporting your children to be their personal best.  Diversity is an interesting challenge.  

“Humans see what they want to see.”   ― Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief

This quote resonated with me.  Sometimes finding middle ground or reaching a shared understanding is impossible.   It isn’t because one party has decided they just don’t want to…it is, as the quote states, “Humans see what they want to see” and I’d add “hear what they want to hear”.  The role of a school is to provide an environment for diversity, to create a safe space that allows children to be their best.  To face adversity, to challenge perceptions, to build resilience and to learn to work together…whatever we see or hear.  This is the power of schools as I see it, and it’s a challenge.

I don’t write these words lightly.  I have thought about my role in supporting a school that allows for this ‘niss’ in all of us, children and parents, staff, our wider community and myself.   When we gathered recently for the Music Extravaganza, we saw our diversity…for some of our children the challenge was to learn to play an instrument, for others it was to stand on stage in front of their peers and families, and for others it was to sit for an extended period of time while being dive bombed by an angry bee.   Diversity is what makes us human, and it’s a challenge!

As we head into our term break and then into Term 4, I ask that you celebrate diversity…in your children, in the families you connect to, and in others.

Happy holidays 

Together Each Achieves More

Deb

No comments have been approved for this blog post yet.

Comment on this post...

Remembering some of our past antics

Posted on 1 July 2019

The gardeners were hard at work today.

Comment on this post...

An awesome Autumn day

Posted on 1 July 2019

Comment on this post...

The flight challenge

Posted on 1 July 2019

Reminiscing - goodness they have grown

Comment on this post...

End of Term - From Deb's Desk

Posted on 28 September 2018

As the term draws to an end I have reflected on what is important to me.

As Term 3 draws to a close we start thinking about 2019.  Yes, I said it.  My thoughts lately however have focused closer to home… around the diversity of our students, families and wider community, and the part we, as a school, play in supporting with the many ups and downs of being a human, a learner with all foibles that brings.

One of the principles of the New Zealand Curriculum is HIGH EXPECTATIONS.  

"The curriculum supports and empowers all students to learn and achieve personal excellence, regardless of their individual circumstances." The New Zealand Curriculum, p. 9.

We could say that this expectation is reflected in the Manakau Curriculum Document as our value of Excellence, or our vision statement PERSONAL BEST ALWAYS.

“It should be the aim of all teachers to ensure that every inkling of talent that students possess is nurtured. For me, this begins and ends with having high expectations for all students, decreasing the inequities associated with low expectations, and showing all students that we care. The positive teacher attitudes and equitable teaching strategies of high expectation teachers lead, not only to student academic success, but also to high levels of motivation, engagement, self-efficacy, and incremental notions of intelligence."

Professor Rubie-Davies, Becoming a High Expectation Teacher, 2014, p. 230.

As we know, academic “excellence” is not the be all and end all…our Manakau Curriculum Document has a central pou of Hauora – Wellbeing and this is an area we are continually mindful of. As we head into this two week break, please take the time to celebrate the diverse little people you share with us.  Take the time to listen to them. Take the time to find out what’s happening for them.   Turn the wifi off for a day. Pack a picnic and sit under a tree. Snuggle and read to them.  Enjoy them!

See you all soon,

Nga mihi, Deb Logan 

Comment on this post...